The girls started swimming lessons last week. It's so exciting to see them improve so fast. We really are fortunate to have found an excellent teacher. She had our girls last year too. In the past we'd taken lessons at the YMCA, which was like flushing our money down the toilet, while the girls learned to kick their legs as they sat on the side of the pool.
Miss Lisa has the tough love that makes them do hard things, and then she hugs their tears away when they've done it. It's great.
Kate is learning how to stroke and turn her head to the side to breathe now. I remember crying behind my sunglasses last year, after 6 straight days of her crying through lessons, something clicked and she blew out her nose and swam across the pool. I have it on video of her yelling with joy, "I did it!!" Everyone cheering. I know I already blogged about it last year. I just cried. Seeing them succeed after struggle is so emotional and sweet.
They're all swimming now! Well, except for Lola. We'll get her in next year.
And speaking of crying through lessons, I was my niece's "Mommy" in the Mommy and Me class for a couple of days last week. It was fun watching her improve too. I love it when crying turns to excitement over success.
Last week did turn crazy when we discovered a flat tire at our morning piano lessons. It was irreparable, but they wouldn't have a new tire for us until later that afternoon. We had to travel to Owasso for swimming lessons on the spare.
So we flashed our hazards and had heart attacks to and from lessons. You know, you can only go 50 mph on a spare. Try switching lanes on a highway going 25 mph slower than all the other people. They don't like you to do that. Heart attacks all day.
My mom is compassionate and loves to love us. I thought she was just packing us some lettuce, but when I got home I found squash, and tomatoes too. She knew we'd be spending our afternoon getting the new tire put on, and she'd heard me lament over not wanting to go to the grocery store after our long day. We would have had sweet potatoes and...dry cereal? I don't know. It was a sweet ending to the crazy day. The girls helped me make some pesto for our grilled veggies.
This past weekend, we decided that the dry forecast provided a perfect time to finish the stone-laying project around the front flower bed.
However, by the time Nathan was ready to spread mortar and set the stone in, it was high noon, and high hot.
The girls and I felt so bad for him, we stood around him with umbrellas until that batch of mortar was spread.
It was a very stressful hour and we learned our lesson. Hot mortar dries really fast. Because of the stress and need to hurry, the stone placement isn't perfect, which disgusts Nathan. But I think it will be fine. We decided this project is a better after-dinner project, once the location is in the shade.
Poor Nathan needed a "spa makeover" at the end of the day. Which means, Lola laid cold wet wipes on his feet, and brushed his hair. Leg hair.
This is our trashy chair that my brother acquired from the side of the road, somewhere. I found it in his bedroom when I was pregnant with someone and decided it was much easier to nurse in than my high-armrested glider. I made the trashy chair my nursery chair.
And now this disgusting thing is a part of our home. You know how you just get used to an ugly thing and it stops being offensive to you because it becomes your normal?
Our normal is becoming a little more offensive to me, especially now that Lola decided to make a craft with it's foam. We should probably put this back on the side of the road sometime soon. It's a sweet craft, though, isn't it? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment